Sunday, November 22, 2009

Dealing with Grief - intro

Although I'm not exactly sure how to begin this, I have really felt called over the past few weeks to write a series of posts dealing with "dealing with grief." I am certainly no expert but I do hope and pray that by sharing my process, someone else might possibly be able to deal with their own grief or help someone that may be grieving.

I will start by saying that the process of grieving for my dad actually began two and a half years ago. We found out he had colon cancer only six short months after my father-in-law passed away after his battle with colon cancer. The blessing that came from this very sad time is that I was able to see that I probably would not have my dad much longer. I was able to spend time with him, laugh with him, and ask his forgiveness for my adolescent years (among other things). I realize not everyone has the opportunity to do that, but more on that in a different post.

When my father-in-law passed away, I found a book on grieving written for children. I would say that in addition to prayer and loving, supportive friends and family, this book helped me much more than I would have ever expected. Not sure what my children got out of it, but I am a totally different person because of it. It is called Tear Soup and it has helped me understand grief so much better than any "grown up" book I've ever read on grief. More on this in future posts as well.

May the Lord Bless You!
theresesophia

3 comments:

Pres. Kathy said...

I look forward to reading your posts.

DebD said...

I also look forward to your posts. When my Goddaughter passed away a few people recommended "Tear Soup" to me for her children. Because of different circumstances, I was not able to get it to them but I have heard it is a very appropriate book.

Jane G Meyer said...

Ever since you mentioned Tear Soup on my blog post back before Christmas I've peeked for it at the library...
I'm determined to find it, and just might purchase it. Thanks for bringing it up once again.
Blessings, and I look forward to reading your upcoming posts...