Saturday, May 23, 2009

Singing the Blues...

...now that we are home from Memphis.  My darling husband took me on a mini-vacation to Memphis for my birthday.  Pretty sweet, huh?  Yep, I think so!!!
First stop...

Rendezvous...known far and wide for their BBQ ribs.  But just between you and me, if you are in the area, get an order (or 2) of the BBQ nachos and skip the ribs!
Our room was at the Peabody Hotel, known for the March of the Ducks.  At 10am these precious little ducks come down from their suite (yes, they have a suite at the hotel) on the elevator and walk the red carpet to the water fountain, where they hang out all day.  At 5pm, they march back to the elevator and up to the suite... sweet!
Probably my favorite tourist-y thing to do was the Sun Records/Studio tour.  Truly a step back in time.  For those of you not familiar with Sun, they first signed Elvis... and Johnny Cash... and Jerry Lee Lewis... and  LOTS more...
What an incredible learning experience.  I can see a field trip with the kids in tow in our future!  Towards the end of the tour, I felt my hip going and my knee shaking... no wonder!!! I was standing on the 'X' where Elvis stood in the recording studio... thank you, thank you very much!
And would any trip to Memphis be complete without a trip to Graceland?  Pictures were difficult because they don't allow flash.  This was probably my favorite room... the billards room.  
And in case you are wondering, that is fabric on the walls, and the ceiling, and the windows.  250 YARDS (yes, yards) of fabric.  I'm on the hunt now for a similar retro fabric to make some cute kid clothes.  Next up, "the Jungle Room."  Fun! Fun!
And a view from the front.
We also did the BBQ Cook-Off (don't bother), the Cotton Exchange Museum (a must, especially for homeschoolers), a Red Birds (minor league/farm team for the Cardinals) baseball game (very nice), a tour of the "arts district" (this was about 6 or 7 shops, about 5 of which were not open when we went... heehee), and several trips to Beale Street.

A wonderful trip!  A wonderful husband!  I am too blessed to "sing the blues."
In love and recovery,
ThereO

1 comment:

Pres. Kathy said...

What a wonderful trip. We stopped for a night in Memphis once on our way home from New York. It was such an amazing city. We really want to go there to spend more time. Maybe one day - God-wlling.